Monday 16 March 2009

Tranny Chic

You may not have heard of the new phenomenon know as 'Tranny Chic'.  I'll be honest, it's quite a niche culture.  



Let me explain the concept to you:
  • Tranny Chic is a style of make-up worn my FEMALES
  • The idea is to look like a man in drag
  • It's increasingly common in the East-London fashion scene
  • These females are often good friends with actual drag queens and gay men
  • A lot of inspiration is taken from the 'Club Kids' culture 
TODAY - I was on the internet when I saw something referring to Jodie Harsh, the famous London based drag queen that hosts club nights, DJ's and is friends with the likes of Amy Winehouse and Kelly Osbourne.  I looked at the pictures of Jodie and under closer inspection I realised what an art that kind of make-up really is.  There are many girls on the party scene in London right now trying to look just like a drag queen, their make-up is bold and outrageous.

I've always looked at these girls at places like Circus at Soho Revue Bar on a Friday night and wondered if they were confused about their sexuality.  Why would a girl dress up as a guy dressed up as a girl?  The truth is the make up is fascinating when you look in detail.  The key elements seem to be big exaggerated eyebrows, false eyelashes and a lot of colour.

It's so extreme that it would be fair to say it is a kind of mask, worn to protect or hide the person underneath.  I have found the people wearing these masks often have a lot of pain and aren't comfortable or happy with who they are.

The lifestyle that accompanies this specific look is not a particularly healthy one, the 'Club Kid' is often a notorious drug taker and hard party goer, think of the movie Party Animal.



Although I don't in anyways condone the lifestyle of Club Kids I put my hands up and admit I've been a bit narrow minded, if boys can wear this make-up in an attempt to portray an exaggerated version of a female why can't a girl be an exagerated vesion of herself?

DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER, DON'T JUDGE A FACE BY IT'S MASK

No comments:

Post a Comment