Sunday 1 March 2009

Faking it

Hair extensions - Acrylic nails - False eyelashes - Fake tan

I put my hands up, I've experimented with all of the above.

TODAY: I witnessed a sorry sight.  A poor, mislead, classic example of the british female.  Visible yellow hair extensions, inch long white tip acrylic nails, orange tan and badly applied fake lashes.

With the right approach, none of these 'additives' need to look cheap, tacky or intentionally FAKE.  With careful application, the knowing when to stop and the right product they can enhance your look, boost your ego and turn heads for all the right reasons.


HAIR EXTENSIONS

I've had fixed extensions twice in my life.  The first time I had single bond, glued 22" extensions fixed in one by one over a six-hour painstaking period.  The second time I had six rows of tight, uncomfortable weaves sewn onto my head.

My advice is DO NOT HAVE THEM FIXED IN.  Buy a packet of hair (real human hair if possible) from a hairdressers, buy some hair glue and have a practice.  The hair is only £20 and the glue is less than £5.  You'll soon be an expert at putting strips of extensions in when you need them.  This way can create an even, layered, realistic look when you need it! Or alternatively buy some Jessica Simpson clip-in's.  They're amazing... just make sure you match your colour well.



ACRYLIC NAILS

I love to have my nails done, they make you feel feminine and confident when using your hands.

My advice is keep them SHORT.  I personally don't like white tips, this season go for short, dark colours.

Long fake nails look cheap and nasty, in this case less is definitely more.

FALSE EYELASHES

A personal favourite of mine.  Stick with MAC eyelashes and you can't go wrong.

If you're going out in the evening, choose a thick black set and TRIM THEM TO YOUR EYE SIZE.  Not trimming them leaves them hanging to far down, looking badly applied.  



Another trick is to apply the glue then leave it to dry for five minutes, apply the lashes when the glue is almost dry, they'll go into place better.

If you're confident enough go for really OVER THE TOP eyelashes.  The look fake anyway so there's no natural look here.

NB.  When you buy your MAC eyelashes most MAC make-up artists will apply them for you there and then free of charge.


FAKE TAN

I love to look brown, who doesn't?  Fake tan does not need to be orange or streaky.

Use FAKE BAKE spray.  It's dark brown and the air brush style spray means no streaks.




SO THERE YOU HAVE IT... FAKING IT DOESNT NEED TO LOOK TO LOOK SO... FAKE!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Danni!

    I really believe that faking it can be done ''naturally''. I wear hair extensions, fake tan, false nails and I love false eyelashes too when i go clubbing. But I really think it's how you pull it off as a whole look - plus, of course, that insider knowledge that comes only from a true love of the best beauty products!!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's definitely a great thing to be clued up on the best beauty products. It' good to know people are going for it with 'fakies' and not looking cheap, its a shame there's such a stigma attached to all of these products. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete